Here we go.

11 December 2008

Feeling better!

Yesterday, Judge asked me why do we settle for such shit coffee here at the office. I could only agree. Our current maker makes a weak brew and doesn't keep it very warm. I told him that we probably tolerate it because A) We're the only ones who drink coffee in our office of five. B) Everyone is being all budget-conscious, so I wasn't gonna ask him for a new coffeemaker anytime soon. Well, hating bad coffee trumps budget-crunch time; he gave me authority to find our office a new coffeemaker at his expense. Boom. Immediately, I start internet research & get worried. I've no knowledge or experience with modern coffeemakers. The one I use at home is as old as I am & just as simple. Sometimes we'll use our French press. Or we'll use the on-the-stove percolator. Researching new models got frustrating, so I just gave up. I figured that I could just go to the shops to look at them in person. When I get home from work, I told ATM my mission. Well, he happened to have the latest issue of Consumer Reports and they evaluated coffeemakers! I'm exclaimating because talk about good timing & luck! !!! !! !!!!!!! Anyway, their top rated maker was in a really safe price range ($40) and it was available at a nearby shop.

This morning, I set up our new coffeemaker & brewed some coffee and it was GOOD. I couldn't wait for Judge to get here to show him what I done did. Maybe he sensed my over-excitement because he totally humored me and said he was "proud" of my work & acted all stoked. He reimbursed the cost of the maker +$10 for research, gas, transport & set-up. And now we have really good coffee at work!

Allow me to digress:

Last night, with furrowed brow, I examined my kitchen. I have no real work space, there's no organization & I'm just not pleased with it. I think we're gonna give it a makeover.  It's exciting because we decided last night that we're going to try more foods and I was going to attempt expanding my cooking know-how. I'm gonna follow KMHD's suit and learn to make breads. It's time to try harder recipes & experiment more wildly. ATM suggested that I take a photo of my existing set up, study it & try to organize and remodel & come up with ideas that way. I thought it was a good idea, so here they are. [My kitchen is a little sloppy because I just don't care about it right now.]









Can't you just tell that I live in a rental?  I can't do any major modifications, but I think with creativity, this can be a more functional, beautiful kitchen.  I love to cook, it makes me excited to think that I could love it even more.  SUGGESTIONS, PLZ!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Going to kickboxing for the first time in over a week.  SCARY!  Am coming home to crock pot of vegetable beef soup.  Tomorrow is Friday!  That was fast!











4 comments:

Alannah said...

HAHA. My cabinets look exactly the same...total mishmash nutsiness.

How 'bout you come organize my cabinets/work space and I'll return the favor. Sometimes it's easier to fix another's space - you know?

I can't help but think you def. need more counter space (duh)...can you find something to put where the cat food is? Not necessarily a butcher block or island, but wouldn't THAT be cool?

Congrats on the good coffee. Life's too short for coffee that's like making love in a canoe (if you get this joke I will die. It's a total redneck reference). I am 100% hooked on our french press. We like it so much we have 2 because it only makes 8 cups and on the weekends...well, we can go through the coffee.

Why am I writing so much? Isn't that what my blog is for?

PS - why was KMHD the only one smiling in your card?

PPS - where was SOLO????

AMD & KMHD said...

I am sitting in the kitchen with the laptop, just staring at the cabinets. I'm really trying to use my imagination here! Seriously, this kitchen just won't do! If I don't figure it out soon, though, we may have to swap kitchen reorganization.

Ha ha, RE: the Xmas photo. It is a lot harder to make a bad photo than one might think. We wanted to be ....well, bizarre in that photo. KMHD smiled and we managed to pull some really heinous faces. Two out of three ain't bad! Please note how off center the photo is, you can see the thermometer, you can't even see the fireplace and the wreath. It's just a really bad photo! Also, SOLO was too embarrassed to be seen with us.

Jennifer White said...

I love photos of other peep's kitchens!

My kitchen is terribly tiny. There is actually no pantry space at all. We have wire pantry baskets bolted to the wall. It's tough to keep much on hand.

I have a huge stockpot that I keep on top of the fridge, and inside that pot I keep my small, bizarre tools that I don't use much but don't want to totally pack away in boxes. The pots holds a ton of stuff.

AMD & KMHD said...

Hello Jennifer! I, too, love other people's kitchens. Ours is still a work in progress. Hopefully we'll finish sometime in the early year?

xx

Blog Archive